Last updated on:
Kundalini Yoga is one of the major components of Tantra Yoga. It is practiced in order to release the visualized energies from the centers called Chakras. These Chakras are seven in number and are the pathway to unleash the higher dimensions of human consciousness. It is one of the most powerful tools for enlightenment. The Kundalini Yoga practice begins with the breath and ends with the visualization of the energy center called Bindu in the Sahasrara Chakra.
The main aim of Kundalini Yoga is to get enlightenment. In modern times the word enlightenment has been seen as it is something bigger than what can be desired. This is not true; enlightenment is nothing more than realizing a particular form of knowledge that connects to the supreme.
Does it mean you will get enlightenment through Kundalini Yoga?
It sounds crazy for first-time meditation practitioners. However, with proper intent enlightenment is possible for people living with family too. You don’t need to become a monk in order to get enlightenment. In Indian Spiritual Sociology, there was an idea called Varnashrama Dharma. You just need to accept it and move on with it.
You can click here to read about 4 Varnashrama Dharma. However, if you still feel enlightenment to be a bigger concept. You can accept the following benefits of Kundalini Yoga.
Benefits of Kundalini Yoga.
There are various benefits of Kundalini Yoga. They are mainly physical and spiritual (metaphysical). We shall see the list of both spiritual and physical benefits of Kundalini Yoga.
Physical Benefits of Kundalini Yoga
- Maintains the stress levels in your body.
- Increases your concentration power.
- Gives you better sexual satisfaction.
- Increases your immune response through the Anahata Chakra.
- Makes your metabolism better.
- Your digestive capacity get’s increased.
- Gives you physical strength.
Spiritual/Metaphysical Benefits of Kundalini Yoga
- Fulfills your hidden desires which hamper spirituality.
- Gives you a better understanding of your temperament.
- Fulfills, the four aims of life i.e. Dharma, Artha, Kama, and Moksha.
- A better connection with your internal energy.
- Union of your consciousness with physicality.
- Makes you humble and well-respected in society.
However, before starting the journey of Kundalini Yoga, you also need to ask yourself simple questions like what can be the dangerous impacts of practicing Kundalini Yoga? or why kundalini awakening is dangerous? or what are the kundalini awakening side effects? or what happens after kundalini awakening?
The negative impacts happen only if you practice kundalini yoga in an incorrect way.
All the answers lie below. However, if you want to learn only about the kundalini yoga meditation techniques. It is advised to read full if you want to learn from the basics to the advanced ones.
You can also read about the elements of yoga.
Meditation Techniques and Poses for Kundalini Yoga.
There is only one meditation technique for perfect Kundalini Yoga. In various Tantra Books, it is referred to as Kriya Yoga. However, all the Yogas like Jnana, Bhakti, and Karma Yoga come under Kriya Yoga only. Let’s learn the first major Kriya Yoga.
One: A proper location and dress.
A proper location and a proper dress-up are required in order to start with Kundalini Yoga. You should choose a place of no disturbance.
Two: Feel the sandals of Guru in the heart.
You should first choose a Deity. For Buddhists it is Buddha or Padmasambhava, each religion has its own Guru. You should chant the mantra suggested below by creating divine sandals of your chosen deity as Guru. Remember, the chosen deity should be the one with whom you are greatly connected with the heart. This practice is done in order to make a base in your meditative awareness.
Anantha samsara samudhra thara naukayithabhyam guru bhakthithabhyam,Adi-Sankaracharya
Vairagya samrajyadha poojanabhyam, namo nama sri guru padukabhyam.
The translation is as follows.
The crossing of this Endless ocean of samsara (this mundane world) is enabled
by the boat that is sincere devotion to Guru
Showing me the way to the valuable dominion of renunciation,
O dear Guru, I bow to thy holy sandals.
Three: Take any suitable Asana.
There are four major asanas mentioned in some of the Yogatattva Upanishads. They are Siddhasana, Padmasana, Simhasana and Bhadrasana. However, it is advised to do Padmasana, the lotus posture.
Given below is the picture of Padmasana. I know it would be tough to practice Padmasana for the first time. Those who cannot practice Padmasana can practice Sukhasana (pose of comfortability)
Here are Yoga Quotes to make you motivated.
Four: Kriya Yoga.
- Take deep breaths 10 times.
- Feel or have a sensation of motion of your breath going inside and coming outside.
- While the breath goes inside focus on the breath coming outside or
- While the breath goes outside focus on the breath coming outside.
- That’s it. Practice these four steps of Kriya Yoga daily.
- You will start feeling the vibrations in the energy centers in a few days or months, you can have different sensations than others.
- Keep reading metaphysical texts like Upanishads or texts of your own religion.
- If you forget about the function of each chakra you can come back to Scientific Monk and read this article.
Side effects of Kundalini Yoga, if not practiced properly.
There can be various side effects of Kundalini Yoga if it is not properly practiced. The major problem can be a misbalance in hormonal activities and nervous breakdown. All the benefits given in the first part of the Article will be in negative way. Following is the list.
- Increases the stress levels in your body.
- Decreases your concentration power.
- Mental breakdown.
- No connection with your internal energy.
- Endless desires.
You can click below to download the pdf version of this Article.
Disclaimer: No materials shall be reproduced without the proper attribution to the author and the website. The pdf material or Article is the sole property of the scientific monk.